RSS Feed

11 November 2007

Why I love Wine and Ubuntu

Wine was originally for the linux platform, and it shows. When using Wine on Ubuntu to run various games, I stumbled across a very interesting piece of functionality. After you install Wine, a wine submenu appears in your applications menu. The "Programs" submenu of the Wine menu functions like the Windows "All Programs" menu. Click on an application and it launches. Cool.

However, I did run into one small snag. I pressed "Restore to Defaults on the Ubuntu menu editor, and my wine folders' names were changed to wine-foldername. I tried editing it back with the menu editor, but the Ubuntu menu editor will not call up the proper dialog to edit a folder's name. I fixed this by installing kmenuedit and editing the menus with that.

No comments: