RSS Feed

14 November 2007

Problems I saw...

A problem that I saw when I was watching the video of the android platform is that the graphics seem slow. They seem just a little too sluggish to be dragging things like globes and web pages around with a finger. I am sure that some models will have faster video processors, but that would provide needless confusion regarding the models of google phones. The google phone may have the same graphics processor as the iPhone, but the slowness of Java may just make it a bit too slow to work. The google phone being out in 2008 says to me that the companies involved need some time to fine-tune their hardware.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The iPhone graphics card is (slightly) too slow for the iPhone, never mind whatever billion android phones try and do with it. Zoom around a big webpage fast. Although, if I had to choose between battery life and faster scrolling with no lag I'd choose the battery life.

Speaking of, are the 1,000s of different google phones going to have different batteries requiring different power management schemes for 3rd party software? I know early iphone apps were bad for the battery, because programmers don't have an sdk. Can android deal with this?

I have a feeling android will be a train wreck. Too many chefs and all that.

Nice blog, too. You are smart. Remind me of the kids I used to play magic the gathering with. (its a complement)

Anonymous said...

Surely scrolling around on the iPhone, has more to do with lack of graphics memory than graphics speed?

Cover-flow shows signs of jitter on my iphone, but scrolling works fine for me.

The HAL will take care of accessing the power management stuff in Android the same way it works in any other OS, I would think anyway?

RC Howe said...

I actually do play magic.

Yes, battery life is an issue for all mobile phones, and for the iPhone I think I read somewhere that they underclocked the processor in the interest of power. I do think custom power management will be an issue for the gPhone, in addition to all of the issues that Apple avoids by just having one phone, and only supporting the mac operating system on their own hardware.

Thanks for the comments!