RSS Feed

16 November 2007

And as we wind on down the road...

So, I downloaded eclipse for Mac OS X today and I have to say, give me an Xcode plugin. I am sure that this will happen when the SDK is open source, but I have to say that I have a list of things that I would want to have to develop for the gPhone:

  1. A C/C++ SDK. Some things just can't be done in Java, and although I blogged about this earlier, I still cannot get past only programming in Java.
  2. Make the gPhone use GCC and GCJ. At the moment nothing on the android platform will compile under the GNU compiler; you have to use the proprietary Sun compiler; it says so on the android website. This is a problem because of the java trap, which locks the (soon to be) open source software into a proprietary compiler.
  3. If the first two are implemented, this one will automatically work (because of GCC), but I want to be able to use Objective-C on the android phone. I think that Objective-C is a really good language, and if the entire OpenStep subsystem is implemented, that would be even better.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

No comments: